Reflection – October 5

In class, we continued our discussion on your social media presence as an educator. I have really been enjoying the discussion that emerges from this topic and how much I have been able to reflect on it. In particular, we talked about social media pages solely dedicated to your work in education and creating a brand around that. Michael gave us a few Instagram handles to check out and I have followed a few myself. Another social media platform that was briefly brought up was Tik Tok. This caught my interest because I use the app nearly every day. I have also followed a few elementary teachers on Tik Tok that I’d like to discuss in my reflection.

The first one I followed was @/ms_frazzled. She often creates videos about her daily routines as a teacher or some of her funny stories teaching kindergarten. She is also known for her live streams which she does most nights. In these live streams, she reads stories to the digital audience, which I find helpful in many ways. Firstly, it has given me some amazing resources for books and stories. It has also taught me a few techniques for reading to students like how to use your tone of voice to keep your audience captivated and engaged.

Another account I enjoy is @/kenziiewenz. On her account, she mainly posts videos from her kindergarten zoom class (showing only her face of course!). This is really interesting for me to watch not only because I can observe her teaching styles, but I am also able to see how to keeps a class of kindergarteners focused during an online class.

I can’t imagine how hard it would be to teach young students who have trouble navigating their way online. From my Wednesday field experience, I am also observing how challenging it can be to keep a group of children focused on a task, but that seems especially harder online when they are at home.